Sunday, August 29, 2010

Gingerbread


I’ve always been fascinated by this word “Gingerbread”, and why it is so popular in America, while the rest of the world seems to be not aware of such a marvelous dessert. Honestly, I never tried gingerbread before (so, I have no idea how it is supposed to taste!) until I found a recipe in Cook's Bible this summer. So, I tried the suggested recipe once, then several time with different modifications. Yesterday the gingerbread emerged from the oven so perfect, that I decided I have to write the recipe down while I remember all details.

· 2/3 cup (160 g) whole milk

· ¾ cup (160 g) dark brown sugar

· 2 tbsp molasses

· 2/3 cup (170 g) unsalted butter

· 1 egg

· 1 & 5/8 cup (200 g) all purpose flour

· 30-50 g fresh ginger root peeled

· 2 tbsp baking powder

· 1 large apple peeled, chopped and coated with 1 tbsp lemon juice

Preheat the oven to 400ºF/200ºC.

In a small saucepan, over low heat, melt the butter, sugar and molasses.

Grate the ginger finely in a large bowl. Add in the bowl flour, baking powder, the milk and egg. Stir well.

Add buttery mixture, stir.

Add apples, stir.

Grease the baking dish with butter. Pour the mixture in the dish.

Bake 35-45 minutes or until brown on the top and done (check with a knife inserted in the center)

Serve hot, warm or cold with whipped cream (1 cup of heavy whipped cream whipped with ¼ cup sugar) as in Inglourious Basterds.

Note: Apples are better to use firm and not too sweet. Lemon is necessary for keeping the gingerbread from excessive moisture.



No comments:

Post a Comment